By: Teresa Mull
Gunpowder Magazine stopped by the Ruger booth at the SHOT (Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade) Show 2019. Here's what they had to tell us about this year's newest items:
We pre-launched a lot of stuff in December. We have the SP101 that we’re doing in a blued finish that is brand new. We also have the LCR, which is the three-inch barrel, adjustable sights in 357. We’ve had those before, but it’s a new caliber in that configuration.
On the custom shop side, we introduced two products: the SR 1911. It’s a 9mm, 1-shot, custom shop product.
On the AR side, we have the MPR, which is our multi-purpose rifle in .450 Bushmaster. We also have an optics carbine which is in the 556. On the rifle side also, precision rifles, we’ve got the two new magnum calibers in precision long action, that’s a .338 Lapua Mag n .300 Win. Mag.
On the American rifle side, we’re doing seven calibers in Go Wild pattern, and in long-range precision, we have a gun we call the Hawkeye long-range target, and that was introduced in 6.5 PRC, and then last year we introduced that in .300 Win. Mag.
On the rimfire precision, we have a 17 HMR, that’s in the bolt-action rimfire precisions. There will be more products introduced throughout the year.
More about these guns, from Ruger’s website:
STRONG AND RELIABLE SHOT AFTER SHOT, ALL RUGER SP101® REVOLVERS HAVE SOLID STEEL SIDEWALLS (NO SIDE-PLATES), MAKING THEM RUGGED, RELIABLE, AND DEPENDABLE.
• Cushioned rubber grip with black synthetic or hardwood insert has no exposed metal in the backstrap, making it extremely comfortable.
• Takedown of integrated subassemblies requires no special tools, allowing for easy maintenance and re-assembly.
• Transfer bar mechanism provides an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge.
• Grip frame easily accommodates a variety of custom grips.
• Triple-locking cylinder is locked into the frame at the front, rear and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable operation shot after shot.
• Monolithic frame is made from aerospace-grade, 7000-series aluminum in .22 LR, .22 Magnum and .38 Special models and from 400-series stainless steel in the powerful .357 Magnum, 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models.
• Patented friction-reducing cam is a next generation design in fire control systems that results in a smooth, non-stacking trigger pull.
• Patented polymer fire control housing holds all the fire control components in their proper dimensional relationships, reduces weight significantly and helps reduce recoil.
• High-strength stainless steel cylinder, featuring a PVD finish for excellent durability, is extensively fluted, reducing weight.
• Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip® reduces preceived recoil.
• Grip peg allows for a variety of grip styles to be installed.
• Replaceable, pinned ramp front sight with white bar.
• Classic, original 1911 fire control.
• Precision CNC-controlled machining process results in a superior slide-to-frame fit and smooth slide travel.
• Positive barrel lock-up allows for superior accuracy out of the box.
• Traditional design with replaceable grip panels and checkered backstrap.
• Lightweight, aluminum, skeletonized trigger provides a very crisp, no creep, light trigger pull with a quick, positive reset.
• Skeletonized hammer and titanium firing pin for faster lock time.
• Oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability.
• Extended thumb safety and slide stop lever for improved, positive manipulation.
• Integral plunger tube for slide stop and thumb safety is not staked and will never come loose.
• Oversized ejection port and extended magazine release enhance performance.
• Inspection port allows for visual confirmation of a loaded or empty chamber.
• Features a flat mainspring housing and rear slide serrations for a positive grip.
• Accepts most standard, aftermarket 1911 parts and accessories.
• Also includes: One 8-round stainless steel magazine and one 7-round stainless steel magazine; bushing wrench.
• Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul® MOE® grip and MOE SL™ collapsible buttstock on the Mil-Spec buffer tube.
• Handguard is free-floating for accuracy and the slim, 15" length provides enhanced ergonomics and support.
• Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flattop upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector.
• Bolt is machined, shot peened and pressure (proof) tested to ensure strength, structural integrity and durability.
• Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.
• Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning.
• Bolt carrier and gas key have chrome-plated inside diameters to provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing. A matte black oxide finish on the exterior of the bolt carrier provides corrosion resistance.
• Ruger® muzzle brake is a radial port design that significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement. The threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.
• The Ruger® Elite 452® AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a 30% faster lock time over standard MSR triggers.
• Also includes: One Magazine
HAWKEYE® LONG-RANGE TARGET
• Heavy-contour target barrel features a Ruger Precision Rifle® Hybrid Muzzle Brake to effectively reduce recoil while minimizing noise and blast to the sides of the shooter.
• 20 MOA Picatinny rail secured with four, # 8-40 screws for increased long-range elevation capabilities overtop the traditional integral scope mounts that are machined directly on the solid-steel receiver.
• Free-floated, cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with 5R Rifling at minimum bore and groove dimensions, minimum headspace and centralized chamber.
• Two-tone Target stock features two-way adjustable comb, adjustable pull length with soft rubber buttpad, QD attach points and flush mounted Lower M-LOK® rail.
• Unique, two stage, adjustable target trigger with a short "take-up" stage, followed by a crisp, light target pull with no creep or overtravel.
• Non-rotating, Mauser-type controlled round feed extractor is among the most positive case extraction systems ever invented, and features a fixed blade-type ejector that positively ejects the empty cases as the bolt is moved fully rearward.
• Three-position safety is easily accessible and allows the shooter to lock the bolt or to load and unload the rifle with the safety engaged.
• Ships with one AI-Style magazine.
• Rugged one-piece, stainless steel bolt
Ruger's Go Wild Camo pattern.
Teresa Mull is editor of Gunpowder Magazine. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org