By: Friedrich Seiltgen
Copyright © 2022
Not wanting to fall behind the state of New York’s unconstitutional new gun laws, New Jersey is following in the footsteps of their neighbors in New York. Governor Phil Murphy signed a sweeping series of “gun safety” reforms to continue the fight against gun violence in the state. Murphy signed seven bills which include:
- A1765/S1893 (McKeon, Atkins, Jasey/Ruiz, Pou) – Allows attorney general to bring cause of action for certain public nuisance violations arising from sale or marketing of firearms.
- A1179/S1204 (Jasey, Swain, Jaffer/Cryan, Zwicker) – Requires firearm owners who become New Jersey residents to obtain firearm purchaser identification card and register handguns acquired out of state.
- A4367/S2846 (McKeon, Greenwald/Scutari, Cryan) – Upgrades certain crimes related to manufacturing firearms from third degree to second degree.
- A4366/S2905 (Atkins, Quijano/Scutari) – Revises definition of destructive device to include certain .50 caliber rifles.
- A1302/S2903 (Greenwald, Reynolds-Jackson, Atkins/Cryan) – Regulates sale of handgun ammunition and develops system of electronic reporting of handgun ammunition sales.
- A4370/S2906 (Reynolds-Jackson, Greenwald/Codey) – Requires training for issuance of firearms purchaser identification card and permit to purchase handgun under certain circumstances; provides that firearms purchaser identification card include photograph and thumb print and remain valid for ten years.
- A4368/S2907 (Greenwald, McKeon/Codey) – Requires firearm retailers to sell microstamping-enabled firearms upon determination of availability by AG.
The governor and his liberal anti-2A cronies have assured us that these new laws will make the Garden State safe! Well…not exactly, in his press release Murphy states:
“As I have said before, this is a huge step forward for common sense gun safety and for safer communities. But it cannot be our only or last step. I look forward to continuing to work with the legislature and take action to make this state safer for all.”
Rest assured that more gun control is coming in New Jersey! But you knew that already, didn’t you?
That’s all for now folks! Please keep sending in your questions, tips, and article ideas. And as always – “Let’s Be Careful Out There.”
Friedrich Seiltgen is a retired Master Police Officer with 20 years of service with the Orlando Police Department. He conducts training in Lone Wolf Terrorism, Firearms and Active Shooter Response. His writing has appeared in RECOIL, The Counter Terrorist Magazine, American Thinker, Homeland Security Today, and The Journal of Counterterrorism & Homeland Security International. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org